Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Calhoun Project: Family Tree DNA

Several years ago. Larry Calhoun of Glasgow, KY started a DNA project at Family Tree DNA. The DNA test is a simple swab (like a Q Tip) that you run on the inside of your cheek, put in a sterile envelope, and mail back to the DNA headquaters (my sample was mailed to Houston, TX). There are different priced tests depending on how specific your DNA will match other participants. The cheapest test for a paternal test is currently $99 (12 marker test). The Calhoun Project public page is here. Last November Larry Calhoun sent out an e mail that stated: "As my 83rd birthday is gone I am slowing down and must, regretably, step down as your admin. DAN MARK CALHOUN, email: dcalhoun15@comcast.net has agreed to become the Calhoun Surname Group Admin. EFFECTIVE 1 JANUARY 2009. I am sure he will do a great job. It has been a pleasure to work with you all in trying to find our ancestors, and I wish you all the success in the world. The best to you and yours, Logan E (Larry) Calhoun, Glasgow, KY" which is why you see Dan's contact information on the public page now.

Last weekend my herniated disc and I made the 6 hour trip to the Loch Norman Highland Games outside of Charlotte for a surprise visit! Family Tree DNA had a booth at the event conveened by Cynthia Ann Wells.
Even though all the information you need is at their website, it was great to acutally talk to a representative face to face.

I had originally signed up for the Calhoun Project, but after I found out a little more I realized ideally every match you make should be someone who bears your last name (yourself, your father, his father, etc.). I've switched my "membership" to the Hodges Project. You are notified for any match you have no matter what name it's matched with. What's interesting is I, and several other people I've talked to, have made matches with participants who don't bear our last names. With all but one instance it was with someone who didn't know their ancestry past a couple of generations. There are several explanations for this explained briefly here.
There are also projects for the other Clan sept names including Cowan which has 154 members!, Ingram (Ingraham), Kirkpatrick (Kilpatrick), Potter, and King.

No comments: