Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Taste: The Story Of Britain Through Its Cooking by Kate Colquhoun



I'm on a "Google Alert" for "Colquhoun". This book comes up all the time, so I had to get a copy. I've loved to cook since I was a teenager and have the fortunate home life where I don't have to cook all the time, so it's a hobby. Just this past year I learned about verjus which intrigued me because it was used in medieval cooking. I bought a bottle and tried a braised chicken recipe with it that turned out pretty well. "Verjus" is not in the index for Taste. If I find something I can try to prepare out of this book I'll share it with you.

This book is readily available all over the Internet. A lot of people use Amazon which offers used books. I also use Alibris.



This caught my eye right away. My middle name is Calhoun and my last is Hodges. I thought Chaucer's cook looked like my dad. Although I never thought of Dad as "swarthy", he did have very dark hair and eyes when he was young.

My Calhoun connection comes from his side of the family.

No comments: